Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review

Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by williamcate

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Aqua Class

Review for 2 day cruise from Miami to Nassau on the Celebrity Infinity, departed February 22, 2020.

Maybe because it was a 2 day cruise everything seemed condensed or abbreviated. We have sailed in 3 stateroom categories with Celebrity – balcony, Concierge and Aqua class. In my opinion, I would just stay with a balcony room UNLESS the cost difference of upgrading is less the 10%.

This 2 day, weekend cruise did not tempt us to buy the drink package as we were off the ship all day Sunday, and I do not drink. I do like a specialty coffee every so often and the $5 cappuccino in Cafe Bacio was reasonable. Wine by the glass varied from $6 to $11 and I realize that you need to ask for a particular name, not just Chardonnay, or you got served the more expensive brand.

Embarkation.

We arrived around 11:30 and sailed right through check-in, as we were able to use the shorter Aqua class priority line. Arrival at terminal to being on board was 15 minutes from stepping out of the cab to swiping our Seapass through on board security. They did ask questions about our travel outside the US and if we had been in contact with anyone who traveled to China etc., about 5-7 questions. I wonder, when they swipe our passports, whether it shows where we have traveled, as a person could lie. They offered complimentary champagne as you entered the ship. We went right up to to Buffet to grab lunch and then explored the ship. Rooms were ready about 1:15 to 1:30.

Our muster drill was on deck 4 Rendezvous Lounge and was VERY crowded. After muster, we headed up to the Constellation Lounge, Deck 11 forward. We sat at the bar and was able to look oforward over the heads of the people in front chairs. There were 6 other ships in port so the sail away was fascinating as they all positioned to leave. The bartender was Borys and he was EXCELLENT, accommodating and attentive. His wine pours were generous and he appreciated the little extra tip we gave. He was also our bartender for the Captain Club reception for the Elite and above members.. We are Diamond on RC so Elite on Celebrity. There was no daily Captain Club event on Embarkation day, so we only got to experience it one day. They passed horedouvers which were interesting and tasty. I would have liked the Captain Club manager and staff to have circulated more and spoke to guests.

Cabin 1105 – Aqua Class Deck 11 Aft

First we loved Deck 11 as the balcony's were wide open to the outside above. The Aqua class rooms on deck 9 are all under the huge overhang from the restaurant above. I would also suspect that there could be noise issues from the buffet area. That being said we did feel the ship movement much more in the Aft compared to our usual choice of mid ship. We have sailed under the buffet area and we did hear a lot of carts EARLY morning and throughout the day.

The amenities associated with the Aqua class were non existent or not recognizable, EXCEPT the Blu restaurant which was excellent. The Food was creative and the room was intimate with enhanced service. I was told several times that I could order off the MDR menu if the selections didn't fit our tastes. In fact I saw several diners doing just that. We had breakfast in Blu and 1 dinner.

It being only 2 days we didn't use the Persian Garden, which was very crowded. The Usual all day lounge savers were very evident. There was minimal literature about Spa amenities, no invite to tour spa, so in my opinion not any perceived value, unless your a spa person or the room cost is the same. The plush bathrobes, and slippers seemed the same as on every cruise, the fancy spa shower featured 4 or 5 jets what were weak, no aromatherapy infuser, pillow menu and I couldn'r tell in the toiletries were an upgrade. The mini bar was stocked, but no price list evident. There was room in it for our 2 bottles of wine.

There was a carafe of water, refilled daily and 2 bottles of water. Because of the mini bar I wasn't sure if the water bottles were complimentary or not. Aqua class enjoys an expanded room service menu. Other perks mentioned by others, but not in evidence for our cruise were: a Carafe of Iced tea, Pillow menu, welcome sparkling wine and no shoe shine. There was a pair of binoculars and an umbrella for your use. I did request an extension cord and it was brought before evening turn down.

Blu, Deck 5

Blu restaurant was excellent, the food was creative and the room was intimate with enhanced service.. I was told several times that I could order off the MDR menu if the selections didn't fit our tastes. In fact I saw several diners doing just that. We had 2 breakfasts there and 1 dinner.

Breakfast included several items which I love including eggs Benedict with spinach. The staff was always walking around with juice, pastries and coffee, similar to the MDR but more frequent because of the smallness of the room. As in the MDR you can get extra sides like sausage, bacon etc.

Dinner was excellent and the variety was good. We are not seafood people, but there was enough variety. Portions were smaller, except for my wife's smoked chicken and orzo which was served in a huge bowl and twice what she could eat. I had the short ribs which were very good. We love good food and were not disappointed. And the almond encrusted Brie was perfect.

Buffet

The selections on embarkation day were minimal and seemed to lean heavily towards east Asian food. The salad bar was good and the carving station item was fresh and hot. Several of the items on the line were stone cold.. The problem was you only discovered this after finding a seat. We were only there for embarkation lunch and port lunch.. I did walk through one night just to see, but again I wasn't as impressed as I have been on prior cruises. Desserts were good, but I thought they were minimal. Pizza was good and the chicken salad, in the Aft buffet area, was good. This area, on prior cruises, offered made-to-order steaks, lamb chops and seafood, but not sure if this was true on this cruise.

MDR

We did one dinner there, at 6:15 and I have to say the service and attentiveness by the floor manager was excellent. I had the pork chop and the prime rib, which were both cooked perfectly. Rough seas made us cut dinner short, my wife was feeling the movement, and the manager was genuinely concerned and offered to send up dinner, but we declined. Service was attentive and quick.

Activities and shows

Due to rough seas they switched the production show with the comedian. The comedian was great and did a lot of audience participation. The production show featured great songs and dancing, but I think shows on other ships are better performed..

Casino was active and my favorite slot machine, Buffalo, was in evidence and again didn't disappoint. I doubled my money and have enough conviction to walk away. We like Celebrity ships as the casinos are smoke free.

Cafe Bacio offered the usual coffees and desserts. $5 cappuccinos were decorative and delicious. Waitress Service, which I've experienced on other ships, was spotty.

Excursion

We booked a private tour through tours by Cheryl. We hadn't been to Nassau since taking our first cruise there 35 years ago. We saw the Versailles gardens and the French Cloisters on Paradise Island. We then proceeded to Fort Montague, where a guide gave us a great tour and history lesson. This fort is a smaller less known fort and the driver said we would get more ot of it then the other 2. We then did the other areas including the Queen staircase and the Ardastra zoo.

We visited Junkanoo World and loved the energy and passion of the owner. The owner, Quentin, is VERY passionate about his Museum. This is not an attraction that gets a lot of attention, but seems to do a lot for preserving the history of the Bahamian culture. He speaks a lot about his travels and his humanitarian efforts, a bit to much for me, but I applaud his efforts.. This does not take away from the work he does with the youth and the community. While we were there, 5 of his “kids” were along for the tour, helped us put on mardi gras/Mummers style costumes and lead us in a musical parade. He is teaching the youth about the culture and history while they learn about hand making the costumes, hand bells and drums. He truly gives back to the community and even arranged to give food and supplies to our driver who's family lost everything when hurricane Dorian destroyed his island of Abaco.

Tours by Cheryl.

Arranged a head of time, deposit on line and tailored to what we wanted to see. Our driver, Rigby, was very knowledgeable about the history and was concerned about us seeing what we wanted. I recommend Fort Montague, Queens Staircase and the cloisters.

williamcate's Full Rating Summary

Aqua Class

Cabin 1105 – Aqua Class Deck 11 Aft

Ardastra Gardens

Great driver, very accommodating to our schedule

View All 72 Ardastra Gardens Reviews