Viking Ingvi Cruise Review

Nothing special

Viking Ingvi Cruise Review by Billdref

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: Europe River

Chose this cruise for the Christmas Markets from Passau to Budapest with a 3 day pre cruise extension in Prague.

The extension in Prague was outstanding, a beautiful city especially during this time.

Viking offers ‘included tours’ in each stop. Some were walking tours others were bus tours so check to see which you sign up for. We used Viking Air service and were booked on Lufthansa. Incoming flight to Orlando caused us to miss connection in Frankfort...neither Viking nor Lufthansa were much of a help either rebooking or holding the Frankfort flight. Return flight had a 5 hour layover in Frankfort. Be aware when booking thru Viking.

The ship itself was a bit of a disappointment. It is referred to to a ‘long ship’ which it is. The staff, while helpful, was somewhat distracted since this was the second to last cruise and most were going home within the next few weeks. The rooms are at best tiny. Storage is at a premium. Bathroom had a heated floor which was nice since we cruised in December. Bust again tiny with limited storage space. Dining was interesting. Viking does not accommodate medium sized groups for seating. We had to send a “scout” each night to stand in line before the doors opened to ensure we had a table for our party of 9. Service was attentive but slow. Wine/beer served with each meal. Menu selections were interesting, portions sufficient. Meals came out promptly and were presented well. Personally the soups were the highlight for me. Main courses nothing special. Entertainment was local and actually quite good. In my opinion, our cruise director was trying too hard to do his job. The hotel manager was great, funny and personable.

My summary: compared to another river cruise I took, this was just ok. Viking gets raves but I was disappointed. Would I do another Viking? Perhaps.

Billdref's Full Rating Summary