Avalon Panorama Cruise Review

Avalon Panorama Cruise Review by ksloanbrown

• Sail Date: Jun 2019
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Panorama Suite with French Balcony

We have taken several ocean liner type cruises, so we didn't know how this would differ. Now, I can say EVERYTHING was wonderful and went so smoothly. The transfers to / from airport, the availability of information, the excursions, the food choices, the staff...everything was great.

We love that the excursions ran ON TIME. Our cruise director urged everyone to be early, because they don't wait for you if you're late. We've been on bigger cruises that have waited for stragglers (and then you end up losing time exploring) AND also experienced some very unorganized excursions. Not so on Avalon. Communication is clear, organized, and punctual.

Food was spectacular, loved all the wine choices with meals. Lots of choices for all kinds of eaters. Staff attentive and good at what they do. I think those servers have some of the hardest jobs anywhere.

Our cabin steward noticed that I had a CPAP machine and offered to deliver some distilled water, which is needed for the best functioning of the machine. That was impressive.

Cruise director was amazing...so knowledgeable, and gave clear, honest advice about various excursions.

There were a few children on the cruise, and they seemed to have a good time. We also noticed several teens traveling with families and they appeared bored. (But is that what teens do?? :) ) There is NOTHING on the ship for children, but if they are enjoying the company of family and have some activities they bring with them, it could be an option. I'm not suggesting that Avalon provide this; you just have know this is what it is, if you're considering bringing children.

There is NO DOUBT we will do this again. Hopefully sooner than later. We have nothing but glowing words for Avalon. Now if you could only control the weather... LOL

P.S. I tried adding photos from my computer and it would not work. I clicked "add photos from your computer" and nothing happened.

P.P.S. I have no idea what kind of room we had. It was the Avalon Panorama, cabin 233. It was definitely a panorama suite, but A? B? P? Who knows.

ksloanbrown's Full Rating Summary

Panorama Suite with French Balcony
Cabin B 233

The bed was very comfortable. Room was well cared for. Only complaint here was that it often smelled of cigarette smoke, and we determined that it was probably smoke coming from the smoking area on the top deck...through a vent maybe? Or maybe where staff is allowed to smoke. Ours was the very last cabin in the stern.

Saw city, central cathedral, etc. A nice introduction to our trip.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Loved the boat, but our walking tour host talked a bit much and didn't move the tour along. She was a lovely person and very knowledgeable, but as a result, we had no free time and felt rushed at the end.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

We had low expectations of this, but turned out that we loved it! Amazing place, and then we tried the local brandied coffee and had some free time.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Loved it, recommend it. I love history and it was fascinating to learn about the Jews in Europe, even from Roman times, not just Holocaust era.

Canal Tour

Nice overview

View All 311 Canal Tour Reviews

A highlight for us - love to try new foods and learn about the true, local people.

Zurich

I only clicked Zurich because there is one stop not listed. We stopped at Breisach on the 2nd day and went to Colmar, France. Both were great, especially Colmar but it was a day of 100F degrees!! Why doesn't that show up on our port choices here?

ksloanbrown