Royal Princess Cruise Review

Royal Princess Cruise Review by Nicklann

• Sail Date: Jul 2018
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Selected this cruise for itinerary, perceived cost, and I’ve never sailed princess so I thought I give it a try.

Room was fine.

Entertainment was fine.

Food was severely lacking. I had higher expectations reading other reviews. Variety was fine, but please season the food!!! I understand keeping buffets vanilla to appease the other 3799 passengers, but in the steak house and Italian restaurants ($30/person...) season the food. Don’t make salt a garnish!!!

Celebrated an anniversary and were surprised with balloons and a note. We presented the note at dinner hoping for a glass of champagne. Nope. They brought us a second dessert after we already had our dessert on the table. Seriously?! Way to make us feel special! This was after a $15 corkage fee for wine at dinner. To cap it all off, they sang- off key- a la TGIFridays! Uggghh

Pre booked a reso for the lotus spa. 2x 50 min massages. After buying a bottle of oil, 2 massages and gratuities we spent $410. When I presented the $50 off coupon they gave us, they told me it was only good for a 75 min massage. I told them I just spent $400 and they said there was nothing they could do. I got the wrong massage.

Recommend get a single 75 min massage for a little more in order to get the $50 off for less than the 50 min massage. Since princess nickles and dimes it’s guests, nickle and dime them back.

This ship is too big. Cattle call for dinner- especially at sea days. Cattle call for excursions. Cattle call getting back on the boat after excursions. Normally it was ok getting back on, but we did stand in the blazing sun at St. Peter Port for over an hour.

Overall, the trip was just ok. Boat was nice and clean. Embarkation in Southampton was super streamlined. Nice job!

Staff was mostly just ok. I don’t think I’d recommend princess. They seem to just want to charge for this and charge for that all the time. I recommend paying a little more for a more inclusive cruise. You’ll save more in the long run.

Nicklann's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BA C530

Room was fine. Bed was comfortable. Exterior door in between rooms on balcony rattled with the wind, which was all the time. Had to wedge paper towel to minimize noise. This was annoying since we wanted to sleep with balcony door open.

Room Steward, Allen, was best part of our cruise. Friendly, courteous and prompt! Thanks Allen!!!

St. Peter Port (Guernsey)

Self guided walk around town. Lovely city! Saw Castle Cornet and met nice locals.

Cobh (Cork)

Amazing trip to Lismore and Rock of Cashel. A bit of a drive, but the beautiful countryside and charming guide made the ride pleasant.

Dublin Castle

Great tour! Free time after tour was perfect amount to bar hop and get the Dublin vibe.

View All 11 Dublin Castle Reviews
Trinity College

Beautiful architecture and history. A bit crowded to see the Book of Kells, but that’s expected.

View All 24 Trinity College Reviews
Conwy Castle

Again, another long bus ride, but worth it. It was about this excursion we noticed the WiFi was turned off on excursions. Again, princess nickle and diming us. They want to make sure you pay them for WiFi.

Conway was fantastic. Amazing history and great tour guide. Charming town. Enough free time to grab a pint at a pub!

View All 8 Conwy Castle Reviews
Giant's Causeway

Highly recommend. Bus trip is beautiful! Coast line is spectacular. Natural geological formations combine with local mythology made for a very fun day. Great guide!!!

View All 94 Giant's Causeway Reviews
Greenock (Glasgow)

Took the bus to Falkirk Wheel and Sterling Castle. Got to the wheel and it was broken. Bummer. Cruise refunded a portion of excursion cost. Ty

The area was very pretty and Sterling was awesome. Tour guide not so much. He spoke for about 20 minutes on the way and was silent for the next hour and the entire ride home. I felt like I missed a lot of local history. Compared to other guides, he was terrible.

Glamis Castle

Stunning castle on beautifully maintained grounds.

View All 7 Glamis Castle Reviews
St. Andrews Walking Tour

Cool to say I’ve been here. Not enough time to golf. Just enough time to shop.

View All 12 St. Andrews Walking Tour Reviews
D-Day Beaches

Tour guide was excellent. She was young, but the history was how I learned it too.

View All 75 D-Day Beaches Reviews