(4 p.m. EDT) -- MSC Cruises released new details about Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve, the line's private island in the Bahamas, which is slated to open in November with eight beaches, a family lagoon, a spa and evening entertainment.
The line had already released some details, including the possibility of renting smaller private islands off of Ocean Cay, activities like snorkel safaris and the fact that the island will boast seven distinct bars.
Newly announced amenities include:
- Eight beaches throughout the island
- Seakers Family Cove, a shallow lagoon monitored by lifeguards
- Seakers food court, a complimentary buffet featuring American food and classic kids' favorites
- Spa at Ocean Cay, meant to highlight the island's natural surroundings
- Evening entertainment, which will include a light show around the 98 foot lighthouse at the center of the island and a traditional junkanoo parade -- a Bahamian festival featuring colorful costumes, music and dancing
- Shore excursions that include stand-up paddle-boarding, kayaking, snorkeling and evening stargazing
MSC will also employ environmental conservation efforts on the island, which is already part of a 64-square-mile protected water zone. The line has commissioned a Rapid Ecological Assessment (REA) for further analysis of the water surrounding the island and plans to establish a coral nursery to encourage growth. Additionally, no motorized water sports will be available to passengers visiting the island; MSC instead will offer natural ways of exploring the water without potential harm to ocean life.