Norwegian Epic Cruise Review

Great Ports but Different Experience Onboard

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by SonnyInDC

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean

We were excited to try a new ship and new cruise route. First thing we noticed when going to our cabin was there were no fish swimming forward on the carpet! That is a staple on all NCL ships except this one. Minor detail but it helps at the end of a long day to help get you back to your cabin when you are exhausted.

The ship design was choppy. Floors abruptly ended and later found out because restaurants shared kitchen space.

Service was a bit underwhelming in some areas especially in O'Sheehans. We went to eat lunch there one day and interacted with our server one time when he took our order. He did not come back for drink refills or ask how our food was. I went one night around midnight for a late night snack. I was seated at the counter along the bowling lanes. I had been sitting there for 10 minutes when the hostess saw that I had no silverware or water and still holding the menu meanwhile other tables seated after me had been served. She immediately alerted the wait staff and I was asked for me order. I order nachos and a soda. Never got the soda because they never sent over the drink servers. One morning, we got up too late for the restaurants and did not feel like the buffet so we went to O'Sheehans. We were seated and sat for 10 minutes without anyone greeting us. We got up to leave and I told the head manager what happened. Meanwhile, someone thought it was open seating and sat at our table. So we ended up leaving and going to the buffet for a quick breakfast.

We did find about three days in that La Cucina is open for seating at breakfast and lunch for the buffet. So we ended up going downstairs from the front end of the buffet to eat our meals going forward. Get your food at the buffet and enjoy a nicer atmosphere in the La Cucina dining room.

SonnyInDC's Full Rating Summary

The cabin was nice. Reading reviews prior to sailing, we knew the cabins were a bit odd compared to the other NCL ship fleet. Our Room Steward, Beverly, was so nice and very accommodating. When we travel, we tend to take treats for airline crew, hotel staff and cruise personnel. Since we traveled in December, we also traveled with a small Christmas tree. Each morning before we left for the day, we left something for Beverly under the tree. Some days, it was monetary tips, other days, we left candy or cookies or chocolate.

Island Tour

It was nice to see the island. It felt a little like a shopping tour. But at the end of the tour, we stopped at a beach for about 30 minutes. I enjoyed the water before heading back to the ship.

View All 248 Island Tour Reviews
Island Tour

Another island tour. It was a nice experience to see the island.

View All 224 Island Tour Reviews
Distillery Tour

It was a fun experience to see the liqueur production.

View All 73 Distillery Tour Reviews