Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by mSh311y

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Aft-Facing Balcony Stateroom

My husband and I got married in the courthouse swearing we would have a wedding eventually! Wellllll 3 years later we decided to use the money we were saving to go on a trip! We chose this journey across the atlantic and we are so happy we did we absolutely loved it! the only small negative is that the water was too rough to pull into ponta del gata so we were at sea for like 7 days straight. Not the cruise lines fault but still a bummer.

We stayed in Copenhagen for 3 days before the departure and it was such a beautiful city people were very friendly. We stayed at the Raddison Blu and took a cab to the port the day of departure since for 19 days we had too many bags for public transit. lol

Pulling up to the cruise terminal we were both jaw dropped in aw of this massive ship wow it was huge! we got to the terminal pretty early so we had to wait to check in but once they started boarding it went pretty quickly we went straight to O'shehans for a drink some wings and nachos! YUM

The ship was beautiful very clean and easy to navigate. our cabin was awesome we had a balcony room it was perfect especially in the middle of the atlantic just laying out there looking at all the stars!!

Dining was great we went to the buffet a few times the first couple days then we discovered the main dining rooms and O'shehans !! we had most of our meals at those places. we also had specialty dining...

Moderno- off night we'd like to try them again someday because we didnt love the experience like most cruisers do so I don't feel like my opinion is fair.

Lacucina- worst meal of the entire cruise. Food was very bland pizza is the same as the buffet it was just like microwave frozen Italian meal quality.

Le bistro & Cagneys were our Favorite AMAZING food

The service at all places was really really good!

Entertainment was FANTASTIC ! Million Dollar Quartet was my favorite but I loved all the shows we always 'left smiling laughing singing...

Like I said before missing the one port was a bummer but other than that we loved this cruise! From Normandy stonehenge to having a pint with the locals in Cork way down to shots for my birthday on the beach in Bermuda, swimming with stingrays in the Bahamas to disembarkation in New Orleans we laughed and smiled so much this was way better and made us much happier than any wedding could have !

We would absolutely go again actually we just put a deposit on a cruise for next year!!

mSh311y's Full Rating Summary

Aft-Facing Balcony Stateroom

We loved our room! Awesome views and perfect amount of space for 2. Our room steward Leonardo was fabulous he really made us feel like royalty! We loved waking up and standing out on the balcony watch the waves drinking our coffee and at night looking up at the stars.

Copenhagen

We stayed in Copenhagen for 2 days before embarkation day...

Food-

The Corner Bakery- Delicious Coffee and fresh pastries

Gasoline grill- Best Hamburger I've ever had!!

Fransk hotdog (street venders)

Baest- 8th best pizza in the world ill have to agree it was really good and fresh they own their own farm!!! Excellent !!!

Things to do:

Rosenborg Castle & kings gardens allow 1 hour(open 1000-1600)

Amelienborg open 1000-1600

Fredrick’s Church little mermaid statue & Kastellet (17th century fortress)

Trivoli Gardens

Strøget (shopping street)

Nyhavn

National Museum of Denmark 1000-1700

Rotterdam

Rotterdam is a totally walkable city some people took shuttles from the ship to downtown but honestly it was a nice walk especially over the bridge! I wish we were here longer!!

****Binnenrotte Market is only open tuesday&saturday 0900-1700 if you're there one of those days its worth checking out its a nice HUGE farmers market

OTHER INFO

Food

Poffertjes (little dutch pancakes) THE BEST THING IVE EVER EATEN

Frinkandel - dutch Krokettens, stroopwaffel, fries, herring, kibbling(dutch fish and chips)

Sites-

cube houses

Grote of Sint-Laurenskerk

Binnenrotte Market (only open tuesday&saturday 0900-1700)

Market Hall

Southampton

Super walkable city very friendly people!

First we walked to sea city museum which was really really cool

Then we walked through Southampton town walls and Bargate

next we had a pint at a pub named Juniper Berry.

Last I highly highly recommend the Solent Sky museum open 1000-1700 £8

This was so interesting the people working there are all volunteers and they are loaded with knowledge! We loved this spot!

We had a great time in this port!

Le Havre

BOOK A CAR IN ADVANCE!!!

We decided to go to see the sites from WWII so we rented a car in advance (before we boarded the ship) and there were a few couples who didn't book in advance unfortunately there were no cars available by the time they got there the rental car place said their cars were sold out with people who booked in advance.

I did get an international license just in case but from my understanding you don't need it but I'm not sure... it took like 5 min to get it so to be safe my advice would be to just do it.

Some people paid for an excursion to do what we did. They paid triple and saw way less since they had to wait on the whole group they maybe got to 1 or 2 places.

Heres what we did...

Utah Beach Landing Museum €8

American Airborne Museum €9 1000-1800

dead mans corner museum €20

Pointe du Hoc (This was hard to find the GPS kept taking us the wrong way you have to follow the signs)

American Cemetery, Omaha Beach

Absolutely heart wrenching and indescribable experience if you can i highly recommend this!!!!

Cobh (Cork)

My favorite port!

This place was absolutely breathtaking so beautiful!

We just walked around the beautiful city. We went to St. Colemens Cathedral which was unbelievable just so beautiful! next we went to the Titanic museum which was FANTASTIC and then had a pint or two with some locals!

Wonderfull day in port I can't wait to see more of Ireland!

We had fun in this port just relaxed at the beach did some snorkeling kayaking which were included. There is a bar in the beach area but no food we went to find some so we walked around a bit the port area is nice and there was a little strip mall where we found a few places to get a bite to eat and use the bathroom before doing a little shopping and heading back to the ship.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Stingray Encounter

Great this was such an awesome experience i highly recommend it!

View All 41 Stingray Encounter Reviews