Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Cowracer

• Sail Date: Mar 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

The Getaway is a fantastic ship for 2300 people. The problem is they put 4000 on it...

In no particular order:

The HVAC system onboard seemed overwhelmed in the common areas and in the cabins it seemed they worked better or worse from day to day. The "atrium" (really just a large hole in the deck between 6 and 7) was the worst, but then again, it was always packed full of people. It was always about 80 degrees or better in there.

The elevators are insufficient in numbers (8 each at 2 banks), small, with narrow doors. They are always full, and getting on and off usually requires emptying out the whole car if someone in the back wants off. The 'forward' elevator bank is actually more midships. If your cabin is in the front of the boat, you better have walking shoes on. There are 4 call buttons for each bank, but they are not fully linked. Pushing one only activated one half of the elevators. Curiously, in the front bank, pushing one activated both buttons on one side. in the aft bank, pushing one activated it and the one across from it. Weird.

Cabins were Standard Mark I, Class I cabins. Average in every way. Not uncomfortable, just not remarkable. A budget Toyota Camry of cabins. Electrical outlets were only two, side by side over the desk, making it hard for CPAP user. An extension cord was provided. The balcony stretches the term balcony severely. About the size of 2 phone booths side by side, unusable for anything other than standing on. The might as well take the chairs off them, they just get in the way.

I assume we had a cabin attendant. I mean, the bed was made and the towels changed. but like BIgfoot and the Loch Ness Monster, actual proof of his/her? existence is very tenuous.

This ship had the liveliest ride of any ship I have ever been on. Even in low seas and not enough wind to generate whitecaps, she shaked, shimmied and swayed far more than I have ever experienced. In conversation with other seasoned cruisers, I found that most people had that opinion. Perhaps the stabilizers were INOP or not deployed.

The buffet was just awful. I have somewhat limited NCL experience, but I find that the buffets are not their strong points. Just a horrible layout, and food quality that would put most land-based restaurants out of business in a month.

In contrast, all other dining quality was excellent. Nice selection, well prepared and presented. We did 3 specialty restaurants (Teppanyaki, Italian, and that Brazilian Meat-Sword thing), and all were bordering on the Divine. Wait staff was superb in all restaurants, but our teppanyaki chef made the night. Very funny, and personable. He made us feel like we were the only people he was on the ship to cook for. One thing... the capacity of the restaurants were not up to the number of people on the ship. You would need a reservation even in the complimentary dining rooms, and if you didn't book all nights on the first day out, you were eating at 9:15 at night. NCL really needs to rethink this "freestyle" thing because it ain't working.

Bars were plentiful and chronically understaffed. Getting a drink took so long that we usually ordered 2 each at a time so as to minimize trips to the bar. The bar-tending staff heroically tried their best, but their ability to give great service collapsed under the strain

Entertainment was hit and miss. They have a nice nightclub (The Pour House) with a great band made up of younger kids and a horrible band made up of old geezers pretending to be young kids. As most things on the boat, it was not designed for the sheer numbers of people on the boat, and it was SRO and out the door every night. The comedy club had a very good comedian with a not-so-good warmup act, and a simply dreadful "dueling pianos" act. The main stage offered us a so-so comic/magician, a cuban dance show that my wife enjoyed tremendously (not really my cup of tea), But the shimmering highlight was the Million Dollar Quartet show. Just astonishing from the first note to the last bow. also, I'm not sure it was a NCL provided show, but a goofy rock band played at the pool and the sound was terrible. I think it was a band that had a large group of fans on board and they threw on a show. I can't blame them for the sound, they had to use ships equipment, but I could only take so much of it.

The outside activity areas were nice. Pool and hot-tubs were always crowded (naturally). Being a big kid at heart, I wanted to do the waterslides. I am a bigger guy and I know some things have weight limits. I am ok with that. But I have never had it be a problem on waterslides before. I read every warning and instruction sign listed, but at no time did it mention a weight limit. Not till I climbed all the way to the top did they inform me that I could not go down the slides. It would have been nice to known that at the bottom.

Taken overall, this is probably the worst cruise I have ever been on, simply because it was not spectacular. Sad thing is, we finally talked some friends in to taking their very first cruise with us, and I doubt they will ever cruise again. Maybe we built cruising up too much, but they were horribly disappointed.

End the end, I cant ever see taking another NCL cruise again. Especially after our last cruise on a competing line. The difference is overwhelming.

Cowracer's Full Rating Summary