• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

lissie
First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Feb 2020
Cabin:

First time cruises we alwways travel independently - but my partner's health made cruising an option to PNG - which is hard to get to otherwise. We are ballroom dancers so we chose Cunard.

I was highly intimidated by the dress code snobs online before we cruised - it appeared you needed a different dress for every night -and that if you didn't pay a lot of money for clothes comments will be made!

This wasn't true. There were women in long beautiful gowns on gala nights - but they were the majority. The rest of us wore cocktail length dresses or evening black trousers with a glittery top. I saw someone else wearing a a $20 glittery number which I bought for a gala nigh from Millers (cheap Ozzie chain).

Really nice cabin - it was much bigger than we expected. The bathroom was small but functional. The storage was good - though I never really figured out what you were supposed to do with the bags

Port Reviews

Sydney (Australia)

Met friends - the dock is a long way from down town. There is a free shuttle not that Cunard advertised this in advance

Brisbane

Visited with friends - the port is a long way from the centre of brisbane . There is a free shuttle - unadvertised

Alotau

There is not much to see in town - you need to get a guide to explain what you are seeing and the culture and history is fascinating

Kiriwina (Papua New Guinea)

Pay a local to show you around Bring Kina with you - we got rid of must of ours by changing Australian notes AND COINS for locals who can't get a bank easily. Don't be ugly tourists make the effort to take their currency with you available in major Australian cities

Rabaul

Were refused permission to disembark due to the policits of corona virus

Conflict Islands

Fantastic beach and swimming - the water is incredibly clear. Bring your own mask/snorke

Cairns

We've done the area previously- but new visitors - get on a tour and get out of town there is nothing much in Cairns itself.

4 Helpful Votes