Scenic Eclipse Cruise Review

Nowhere near 6 star

Scenic Eclipse Cruise Review by RSNO2020

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: South America

I chose this cruise 2 years ago as I thought if I was going to the Antarctic I would do it in style and comfort. I chose what was supposed to be the second season so issues could be ironed out but because of delays it became the first season. Firstly we only became aware of our early transfer from Buenos Airies to Ushuaia less than 2 weeks prior to departure no time to arrange alternate despite my travel agent trying to find out sooner. On arrival at Airport in BA from Melbourne for our 2 night extension found we where not on the transfer list was supposed to have a private car. This was not the only lack of communication to occur.

Embarkation once we arrived at the ship was fast but there was a lot of waiting on buses prior to leaving the airport and then at the wharf.

The food was okay but I wouldn’t say six star unless you went to the Chefs Table. Service on the first night was appalling but picked up when we mentioned it. Wines were hit and miss in quality and can’t comment on the whiskey bar as I don’t drink it.

Our butler was fantastic and organised drinks and food for a special celebration in our suite and our room steward was also great always happy to help.

The discovery team was extremely knowledgeable and tried their hardest to find exiting places to visit despite the weather at times.

The Helicopter was the highlight but only able to go up once due to weather.

The parkas they supply I didn’t feel warm in even with 3 layers underneath would bring my own Canada Goose next time in Antartica.

The last thing I would like to say is this ship felt like it was rushed in the end to be finished and because of that has not reached 6 stars. I would not like to travel on it in the future without major upgrades as it will become rather shabby soon continuing as it is.

RSNO2020's Full Rating Summary

Would have to be one of the noisiest cabins I have ever had. For a ship only a few months old I am very disappointed. Roof panels blew off on the Drake passage, howling whistle through deck door, bedroom window electric motor would open window and the refused to close it. Shower door would not stay shut and bathroom door would not latch without slamming it. Drawer containing safe flew out and ended on the floor. Bedroom sliding door needed a wedge to keep it open or it would continuously slam open and shut.

RSNO2020