Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Timpro

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

This was our 14th cruise with Royal Caribbean.

First the good. The food was excellent. The staff delightful and helpful except for guest services. Adventure Ocean and their staff was delightful and our grandkids loved it. The public areas of the ship were clean and appealing.

The bad: I have been your customer since 2004. The relationship was great through 2014. We have never cancelled or changed a cruise booking. In my opinion, we have been model customers. Apparently we have a difference of opinions on that. We sang RC praises for years. When friends wanted to go on a cruise I demanded we go RC or we wouldn’t go. When we booked this cruise it was to be a family cruise. Not too long after booking, one of our son and his wife found out she was pregnant. Your policy will not allow her to cruise so close to her due date. I decided to cancel the cruise because I didn’t want to be on a cruise when the baby was born. Because I trusted RC and I THOUGHT we had a good relationship I was absolutely shocked when I found out there was a $100 charge per person for changing or cancelling the cruise. Sure enough, there it was. Hidden in the fine print. And to add insult to injury I had to PROVE with a Dr.s note that she was indeed pregnant. In other words I was a liar and had to prove she was expecting. And please don’t hide behind the malarkey that it’s your policy. I would have thought that you could look at our past relationship and take my word for it. But no. I guess you thought I was just trying to get out of a cruise. Something I’ve never done before or would ever do without a very good reason and this was a good reason. You showed before we even got close to the cruise that you didn’t trust me. Being a Diamond members I felt you treated us just like a first time customer. The baby was due the middle of November. Our granddaughter was born on Oct 10 while we were on the cruise. Thanks Royal Caribbean.

This gratuity thing is completely out of control. The number one thing that absolute angered me and ruined the cruise for me was on day three I noticed they were charging us $14.50 per person per day for gratuity. We had 2 cabins and there was three in one room and two in the other. I specifically asked when I booked the cruise that I did not want automatic gratuities. I remember seeing on one of my documents that stated that I opted out of automatic gratuities. But you still put them on my account. Why? Were you hoping I wouldn’t notice? In my opinion you have this backwards. Automatic gratuities should be something the customer opts into and not have to opt out of. You charge 18% gratuity on everything we purchase. I would be curious how much of that 18% on all purchases makes it to your workers? Remember that trust goes two ways.

We took our other son, his wife and two little boys (4 and 5 years old) because of all the water activities they could play on. When we got up to the pool deck and went to go on the children’s water slide we were informed that they aren’t tall enough to go down the slide. So we went over to the smaller area were there’s a slide and were informed that that area was for diapered toddlers only and were run out of there. We went to the back of the ship were the big slide was thinking I could go down with them. Nope. There was no water activities other than a small pool they could play in. Who in the world in your company thought this was a good idea to completely exclude certain size children from all water slides and fun water items?

We recently became foster parents to three teenage girls. They had never been on a cruise and we decided to take them on the cruise with us. I needed to find out what paperwork I needed to take these girls out of the country. I emailed RC multiple times and was finally told that RC does not approve documents. I was given a phone number to the Port of Galveston and when I called I spoke to a women I was curtly told me that they didn’t do that and she had no idea why the cruise lines give out their phone number. I was right back to where I started from. FINALLY, after persistent but polite emails,I received an email from RC with an email address to someone at the Port of Galveston who could review the documents. I sent them and promptly received a thumbs up. The last thing I wanted to do was show up at the port, on a Sunday morning, and be told that the documents weren’t adequate. I would think a request like this would be an easy task for a cruise line?

Sorentoe’s: I could never figure out when they would be open. One morning I went down to get coffee and they were open. I had the best breakfast burrito I’ve ever eaten. Looked so forward to that the rest of the cruise. Never saw Sorento’s open for breakfast again. Their pizza was delicious by the way. The daily cruise sheet we would receive in our stateroom the night before about the next days activities would have the times of the shops and restaurants hours. Unless I read the sheet incorrectly Sorento’s would be open earlier or later. I could never count on the hours published.

Our dinning room table: I explained to our girls how beautiful the formal dining room was and how it was nice to have a nice meal while having a view of the ocean. Nope. We were stuck at table (501) which is in a corner with a window and a wonderful view of a lifeboat.

Your company makes such a big deal about gratuities that on day five I wanted to get cash to give to my waiter, asst. waiter and stateroom attendant their gratuities. They all did a fantastic job. I went to the ATMs to get cash and none of them worked. I was informed by one of your staff at guest services that it was a satellite issue. I found out later that all the ATM’s were out of cash. I spent hours trying to get cash out of ATMs. Had I been told he truth, I wouldn’t have waste my time. I went down to the casino to get cash ($120) on my seapass. First all you charge 5% fee to get cash to gamble with and they informed me they’re not allowed to give us cash. I went to guest services and told them my problem and she told me I couldn’t give a gratuity on my seapass account since I opted out of prepaid gratuities. It took my quite a while to get her to understand I only wanted to give my assistant waiter his tip. I had enough cash for the stateroom attendant and waiter. She finally gave me a form to fill out. I got the assistant waiters full name and filled out the form. I showed it to the assistant waiter and told him to watch for his tip. When I took the form down to guest service to turn in I handed it to one of your employees behind the desk and it was obvious he had no idea what that document was. How do I know? Because he ask me what it was for. I had to explain to him what it was as the woman who helped me was not there. I did get charged for it on my seapass account so I hope the employee received it. I talked to other guest on this cruise and read reviews that your automatic gratuity is not well received.

The windjammer is too small for they way you manage it. People come in, get their food and sit and eat it. Then they decide to sit there and take up a table while they sit and talk and drink coffee for hours. After all the view is wonderful. I think it would be a great idea to make an announcement every so often that reminds people that if they are through eating to go elsewhere to sit and talk as curtesy to other guest. There’s other places on the ship where the view is just as spectacular. I went to breakfast the first morning then never went back because it was almost impossible to find a table.

Pictures: We wanted to buy a couple of pictures for our son and his family. We told your employee that we wanted to pay for the pictures using our account. He stated that we could absolutely do that. Our sons account was charged instead.

In summary, the odds of me ever sailing on Royal Caribbean are virtually non existent at best. Your company chose to open this Pandora’s box of mistrust of me right from the beginning of booking this cruise. Maybe I have an unrealistic view of myself and the way I think you should view me. If so, then I accept full responsibility for your attitude towards me. I have never raised my voice or belittled any of your employees either in person or on the phone. I firmly believe in the phrase “you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.” Maybe you want me to go elsewhere? I did notice your little facial expressions emoji when my account was pulled up. Maybe I’ve done something that makes you no longer value me as a customer? IF, and I mean a big IF, I ever cruise again it will not be on RC. I no longer see it as a good value for my money. I no longer see our relationship going any further. And if you are considered the best cruise line for the last 16 years then I WILL NOT cruise ever again on any cruise line if RC is considered the benchmark. In retrospect I greatly regret not eating the $600 charge and cancelling the cruise. How many of your guests are willing to take the time to write a review with such detail as I have? I am not looking for any thing free and I can’t think of anything you can do to salvage our relationship. I’m afraid it’s damaged beyond repair.

Timpro's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View Balcony

When we walked into our stateroom it was uncomfortably warm. The AC was set as low as it would go. After about 2 hours it had not cooled down (yes the balcony door was shut). I called and a maintenance man promptly came up and fixed it. When I tried to use our room safe it would not accept my code. A maintenance man promptly came and fixed the safe. The first night we didn’t sleep well because our balcony door whistled loudly. We called maintenance and they promptly came and fixed the problem. My point of this is on our last 13 cruises we never had a reason to call maintenance for any reason. What has changed?

Heavy, heavy rain the entire time (not RCs) fault but absolutely said no refunds and they didnt cancel it.

View All undefined undefined Reviews