Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review

Best ship for food and service!!

Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review by airalily22

• Sail Date: Jul 2019
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea

As a frequent, but young cruiser, I've traveled on many different cruise lines, including NCL, Royal Caribbean, MSC, and Carnival. This was also my third cruise on Holland, the other two being on the Maasdam and the Statendam (the Nieuw Statendam's predecessor). Out of all the cruises I've been on, this ship by far had the most delicious food, both at the buffet and the main dining room.

My previous experiences on Holland America were certainly not as great as this cruise was; and the level of service, food, and entertainment were definitely much better. Holland definitely amped up their game with the Nieuw Statendam!

The buffet was my favorite part of the ship. I loved that the crew served the food to you at the buffet, rather than people touching food with their fingers and spreading germs all over the place. Not to mention that the food variety was terrific and literally almost everything tasted good. Oh my goodness - the deserts tempted me so much!!! I couldn't resist them; in fact, I would carry three of them to my table everyday. Additionally, you could get fresh salads prepared personally for you, made to order stir-fry at the Asian section, and burgers and hot dogs located near by (outside) the buffet. Also, located near the buffet, one flight up, was the pizza and deli place, where you could get made to order pizza and sandwiches.

Service in the dining room as well as selection of food choices were excellent. The staff were also very accommodating, allowing my sister who has special dietary restrictions to order things not necessarily on the menu and preparing her food the way she needed it to be.

Entertainment was great as well. There was a large variety of entertainment options nightly, including special rooms dedicated to different genres of music that rotated, as well as main theater shows that were different every night. From comedy shows, magicians, and production shows, every show was great! The show we especially enjoyed was a production show that utilized the large LED screens that surrounded the theater. It blowed our minds.

I will say, I would not recommend this cruise line for young kids, but for teens and above, it is awesome! (I myself am in my late teens). There's no slides, arcades, or fun activities of that sort, although there is table tennis! I would suggest bringing a nice book to keep busy during sea days. And the ship is designed perfectly for relaxing by the pool: the Lido deck is full of comfy lounge chairs, with some actually being beds!

Overall, I would highly recommend the Nieuw Statendam, and I hope to come back on it one day!

airalily22's Full Rating Summary