3. Carnival Legend
First, I write this as a guy in my early 40s travelling with my partner and no kids. That should give you an idea of my perspective. We found this cruise through a Carnival promotion and we couldn't pass this up at the price. We didn't get to choose the cabin but we were given 5114, a balcony room closer to the front of the ship. The room was clean and well-presented, no complaints here. My first cruise ever was on Legend last year and it felt like visiting an old friend this time 'round. Some of the Fun Ship upgrades had been put in like Alchemy, Blue Iguana and Guy's Burger Joint but there was no Fat Jimmy's C-Side as there is on Spirit. Embarkation was easy enough, we rocked up to and dropped off the bags and went through customs. Carnival have changed the process a little since our last cruise on Spirit this year. They now issue you a paper boarding pass rather than the Sail and Sign card just before you get on. The Sail and Sign card awaits in the little mailbox out the room. I was told the paper is quicker to print and you can still use it in place of the proper sail and sign card. Our card arrived fairly quickly. The old Roman/Greco theme has grown on me and it never really bothered me anyway. Some may not like it. I went straight up to Unicorn café and had the fish and a few other sides. Exactly as I remember it on my first time on Legend. The food was great on the Lido deck, be it Unicorn, Guy's or the Iguana. I then purchased the bottomless bubbles package and started getting into the good stuff. The service started off excellent and didn't really deviate from any of the bar staff throughout the cruise. They were pretty much always friendly. One thing I like about Carnival are the drinks prices. They might be a little higher than the local leagues club but they're tolerable. Beer and wine is probably a $1 or $2 higher than the local club. Even spirits (Scotch is what I had) is reasonable. Cocktails are as expected. My local club does them for about $12 - $15 and that was about the price onboard. The first day is always chaotic and we had people with their kids in Serenity. Seriously, there's plenty more ship to keep your kids but Serenity is for those 18+. They weren't rowdy but these families take up cabanas that could be for someone over 18. Staff didn't do anything and ask these families to move to another area. The subsequent days didn't have kids parked at Serenity. And anyway, who takes their kids out of school before school holidays start? That's what school holidays are for. After a day or so, people's movement flows well through the ship. The ship is well laid out and there's always an area where you can sit and have a quiet area. You may not get the lounge beside the pool but on sun deck there's always a few chairs empty. Bars are easy to access and not crowded unless there's an event on. I could sit at one of the bars and enjoy a few drinks especially the more quiet ones such as Dreamteam and Odyssey. Even before dinner times, Alchemy was accessible. All-in-all, I think the Spirit class ships have a good passenger to amenity ratio. Waiters for drink service seemed to come more regularly than I remember on my last Carnival cruises. Our cruise director was Jen and she was great; always around and ready to have a chat and she looked after us. She was always letting passengers know what was going on. Entertainment was generally good and they had Epic Rock on the last night, the second time I've seen the show. DJ Max was our main DJ and plays a good mix of music that would appeal to most anyone. His playlist doesn't feel like it was contrived by a CCL suit in Miami for use onboard all their ships. Unfortunately, Music Manilla weren't on this ship but the other entertainers were good. Music volume levels were good including in areas where piped music was playing so you could easily maintain a conversation. As one would expect, the jams were pumped up a little for the Lido deck 80's theme night. That joint was bumping and it was a good turn out. In terms of cleanliness, Unicorn tables were being cleaned promptly. I'd barely finish a meal and a courteous staff member would be there cleaning. I only encountered one or two public toilets not working but they seemed to have been repaired promptly. Toilets are quite handily located all over the ship so you can leave things on a table and be back quick enough for no one to have removed anything. Toilets were always clean and there'd be someone cleaning/maintaining them often enough. Again, the food was excellent and other than breakfast, changed regularly. Breakfast was mostly things like bacon, eggs, toast, etc. along with cold cuts and even salad. Truffles was excellent and the service astounding. We were able to change our assigned table and we were given a note the next day in our mailbox informing us of the new table number. We also did the Chef's table again as well as Nouveau. Again, both were excellent. Nouveau has bumped up the price but it's still worth it. Just a note, we've had the escargot before so didn't think to order them this time. Our chef came out and had chat with us about the meu. Apparently, Carnival will be taking them off the menu so get in while you can. Our chef quickly had some cooked up for us. Amazing service. Some minor criticisms with the ship include inconsistent bar prices. Most staff will process the mixer component of spirits and it will be then credited back on the bill because soft drink is included in the Bottomless Bubbles package but even at the same bar, other bar staff will not credit it back. In some of the areas, parents would simply not bother controlling their children. Others would let nappy-donned rug rats in the pool. Even with a swim nappy, you can't go in the pool. People don't want to swim in diarrhoea and urine. Staff didn't seem control this whereas they were strict about it last year on Legend. Other than that, I know I've been on a stellar cruise when I shed the odd tear knowing I have to disembark and get back on with life. Well done, Carnival.

Another great cruise by Carnival - my third with them

Well done, Carnival.
plettza’s Full Rating Summary

Extended Balcony
Cabin 8J 5114
Our cabin was clean and well maintained. Our room steward was excellent; he was always friendly and happy to assist in getting a powerboard. For those who use CPAP, be aware the powerboard is a bit of stretch. I had to leave the CPAP on the couch adjacent to the bed and use the bag "yoga mat" to place over the power cord. I believe there are 120v outlets near the bedside lights but as I didn't bother to bring an adapter, I didn't bother looking for those. Maybe bring a US-AUS power adapter or ring up Carnival beforehand to see what the best option is. I'm sure there's infromation here in the forums.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins