3. Pacific Eden
Having travelled on Norwegian, RCL and Holland America in the past 4 years, we did a trip within a trip and went on the Melbourne Cup cruise - a 6 day cruise from Sydney to Melbourne, 3 days in port there, and back. Having read some horrible reviews, I have to tell you first off that our toilets did not clog, the AC/heat (we needed both) worked, and basic needs were met. The restaurants were fine, not as many lux ingredients, ie no smoked salmon, but good on the whole. We ate at both Angelos and Dragon Lady as well as Waterfront and the Pantry. The oceanview cabin had a comfortable bed but a very distressing bathtub, the highest I have encountered in a long time, making getting in and out of the shower dangerous and difficult, especially with a little ocean movement. Who needs it? The security getting on in Melbourne was ridiculous. Knee replacements set off the machine each time, and I was thoroughly wanded as well as everything put through xray each and every time. No other line has been so anal. And what is with the boarded up gates at the Melbourne dock making it necessary to walk from the bow of the ship all the way to the back to go through a gate, then back the full length of the ship to get to the port opening? Then on the third day, the boarded up gates are opened, so you can get right on and off without walking 2 ship lengths. Take pity on us who have difficulty and pain walking, when there is a shortcut. There was never anyone in charge in this area, just people doing what they were told to do and nothing more. I was not disappointed in the cruise; the views of Sydney Harbor coming and going was worth a lot. But a little more attention to detail and someone in charge with common sense would have helped.

An Interesting Experience