3. Carnival Spirit
I had been on another cruise from Sydney, but not from Circular Quay and wanted to experience the thrill of sailing out of the Quay, past the Opera House and up Sydney Harbour. I was not disappointed. For the price, I think Carnival did an excellent job. Where else can you get 8 nights accommodation with ocean views, three meals a day, waiter service if you want it, movies, live shows, karaoke, swimming pools and gym for $100AU per day? Despite school holidays having ended a full week prior, there were still hundreds of school age kids. Not sure how that can be so, but they all seemed to have a great time in the pools, water slides and other kids activities. If you want a quiet, adults cruise, I suspect Carnival is not where you’ll find it. For the money, the food was good. You can’t expect any more for the price. I was travelling alone and the single supplement meant that I paid almost the same as two adults. Can’t help that. I booked, through a third party online cruise booking service and it was quite close to the sailing date. At that stage I could get a cabin with an obstructed ocean view. I thought that would suit me fine. About a week before the cruise I received an email with my cabin details and was very pleasantly surprised to find they had put me in a cabin in the aft section of the ship with a full, unobstructed view balcony. Some say mid ships, low down has less movement, but I think the aft section is also good if you are susceptible to motion sickness. There is a 24 hour, free pizza restaurant and the pizzas were actually very good. However, the fellow making the pizzas was completely disinterested and he was making the dough at the counter as well as cutting up and serving the cooked pizzas when they came out. This meant they were sometimes stone cold when they were finally handed over. As the pizzas have a thin crust, they dont stay hot for long and are best if served and eaten straight away.

8 night cruise to Noumea, Isle of Pines and Mare from Sydney on 18 October 2018

Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Antechinus

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Antechinus’s Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin 8A 4219
The cabin was spacious with plenty of hanging space and room for storage of suitcases. This cabin had a queen size bed with another fold-out bed. The bathroom was of a good size and the balcony was great, especially considering it was a bonus!
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Island Discovery
    If you are going to take a cruise, you need to do shore tours. This 2 hour tour was interesting and we stopped at a little impromptu stall run by a family of locals. They sold home made chocolate or vanilla cake for $3 per piece. Made with love! I had to try some. The people are lovely. Isle of Pines has beautiful turquoise blue water and snorkelling. I didn’t try that. Shoulda.
    View All 28 Island Discovery Reviews
  • Mare
    I took a tender to the shore and had a brief walk around, through a local market. The locals had a little marquee set up near where the tenders docked and served free iced water and, as we came ashore, they were singing a welcome song, accompanied by a guitarist. Very beautiful. Make sure you bring a dollar or two to put in their basket!
    View All 82 Mare Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mare Cruise Port Review
  • Noumea
    The bus was very comfortable and new. We stopped for morning tea at a hotel resort by the beach. The 3 hour trip allowed us to see most attractions around Noumea, but $90 was a bit steep, given there were around 50 or 60 paying passengers.
    View All 10,610 Noumea Cruise Port Reviews