MSC Sinfonia Cruise Review

Food on this ship is for "survival", not for appreciation nor enjoyment

MSC Sinfonia Cruise Review by Dannylam

• Sail Date: May 2017
  • Destination: Transatlantic

You can't argue with the price for this 21-night cruise from Cape Town to Venice, with return flights included in the price. It was a good value for money cruise. Would I go on the MSC cruises again? Most probably not because :-

1. The problem with the food. Simply put, the food was awful, boring and repetitive in both lunch and dinner. The worst food in my 50+cruises so far. Part of cruising is about enjoying and appreciating a diversity of food cultures. I didn't come across any passengers who appreciated or enjoyed the food. One passenger commented that "he eats for survival". This neatly summed up what we thought of the food on the MSC Sinfonica. The good thing was that I lost weight after this cruise.

2. It doesn't cost anything to smile or to say "good morning, hello, or good evening". Simple things like this could make a difference to how passengers feel about the services. Unfortunately, these simple things were not there on the ship. It just gave an impression that the staff were not interested in their jobs: serving and helping passengers to enjoy their cruise experiences.

3. We were charged 3 Euro for a bottle of water in the restaurant for dinner, and the reason for that (or for the change from providing free tap water) was beyond comprehension. This was the first time in my over 50+ cruises that drinking water needed to be paid. Out of principle, we (7 of us) brought our own water from the buffer restaurant upstairs to the restaurant for dinner. Some passengers also did the same.

3. On the plus side, the entertainment was good in comparison, especially the broadway shows.

I always enjoy cruising, as it gives me a comfortable feeling of being "at home". Being able to sample a variety of food is one of the attractions with cruising. Sadly, it wasn't the case with this MSC cruise.

Dannylam's Full Rating Summary