1. We sailed on Oceania Insignia last January, Miami to Cape Town. We did this because of the itinerary. While onboard we found this 2017 cruise and bought for the same reason. We will probably not sail with Oceania again.
2. The staff are wonderful. Our stewardess, Sladjana was great and our cabin was maintained beautifully early every day. Most days our cabin was cleaned by the time we got back from breakfast. Melroy & Todo our great bartenders in Martinis, these guys were professional and added to a great cocktail hour.
3. The officers are aloof and just hang out with each other. Try to even get "hello" !
4. The cruise director was a talking suit with 0 personality and he never spoke with anyone unless he had to. Never remembered anyone's name. Most Cruise Directors are charming and vivacious, not this guy. If he had an assistance the guy was hiding in the office.
5. The food is by and far not bad. The specialty dining rooms are wonderful and we got to enjoy 12 nights of great meals/service. If you got to the dining room when they opened and had a table for 2 service was great and dinner was fine. But arrive any later with a table of 4 or 6 or God forbid 8 then service was run at a snails pace, orders incorrect and if you wanted to see the show, then you skipped dessert/coffee to get a seat in the lounge.
6. The cabin - Last yr. we did the concierge and found out that balcony and concierge are exactly the same rooms. SMALL. So we knew what to expect on the Nautica and sitting "sidesaddle" on the toilet isn't fun. Love small ships but this was miniscule.
7. The excursions - are pretty much the same with cruise companies now. Way overpriced and when you compare the company's review of the excursion and what you actually experience you realize they have very creative fiction writers. Let's just say that our 2 days in the Maldives (and why???) the tours were so disgusting I demanded my money make. And I got it. But they refunded monies only to those who complained. I was told that 86 folks complained, so it was probably more because usually only one person per couple complains.
8. So overall, we saw places we never dreamed of seeing and we met many fun people and had a nice month traveling. But going forward, we will stick with Regent Seven Seas, Seaborne, Silver Seas and Crystal for our small ship experiences. They might be more expensive but in the long run they are not.