Nautica Cruise Review

Nautica Cruise Review by Richland

• Sail Date: Jan 2017
  • Destination: Africa
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View

I had never spent this kind of money for a cruise before and was expecting that the cruise would match the dollars I had spent. It came no where near what I had paid.

The cost worked out to $436 Canadian ($333 US) each a day for the cruise. That is a lot of money when I started to figure out what each segment of the cruise would cost if I had arranged my own transport. So I expected top notch service.

I have cruised on six other cruise lines and Oceania is only marginally better than the other cruise lines. I have complained on other cruise lines of being nickeled and dimed but Oceania hundred and fifty dollars you. They were charging $99 each to go from Capetown Airport to the cruise ship. I paid $28 for two by arranging it myself. The cost of going from the ship to Singapore Airport from Oceania was $99 each. We paid a cab picked up at the terminal $18 Singapore dollars for two. The cheapest bottle of wine was $45 for a wine we found in South Africa for $8. Now Oceania did allow us to bring all the wine we wanted on board. First time I have ever experienced that. The tours were also very expensive and could be found for much less privately. At $250 a pop for tours we arranged for $125 or less that covered twice was the Oceania tour covered.

The food while other passengers raved was mediocre. It was beautifully presented but not a great flavour palette. Found out the chef on our ship didn't believe in using salt. It showed in flavour. The buffet will not allow you to serve yourself. You have to tell the server how many pieces of watermelon, orange slices etc you want. When asked why we were told it was the policy of the ship to serve clients. It took forever to get food.

My biggest complaint was the ports. I hadn't done a lot of research ahead of time and the ports were minimally interesting at best. The only interesting port was Penang. We spent two days in the Maldives and I have no idea why. It is an hour tour at best.

Sadly I got off the ship questioning why I cruise. I spent 76% of the cruise on the ship. If I had planned to do it all privately I would have spent more time on shore instead on a lounge chair waiting.

Oceania is all hype. Yes it is a bit more higher end but does not match the price paid. I felt ripped off.

Richland's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Ocean View
Cabin C2 4019

Imagine paying $872 (Can) a night for a 172 sq ft. The room was no different than much lower end cruises.

Cape Town

Beautiful town and ship was docked in easy walking distance to shopping and restaurants

Port Elizabeth

We took a shuttle to a shopping center to buy wine

Durban

Nice hop on hop off bus where the shuttle dropped us. Ship never told us about this but other passenges told us. Interesting city

Richards Bay

Shuttle dropped us at a mall. Not worthwhile to go anywhere else.

Penang

Ship docked near town. Easy walk to a hip and interesting town

Kelang (Kuala Lumpur)

Since we were going to Kuala Lumpur went took the shuttle to a boring mall. If I wasn't going to KL later I would have taken the Kommuter Train to KL for a lot less than ship charged

Richland