Black Watch Cruise Review

Black Watch Cruise Review by PennineDave

• Sail Date: Oct 2016
  • Destination: Canary Islands
  • Cabin Type: Superior Outside Cab

My wife and I have sailed with Fred Olsen on the Boudicca before and enjoyed it, so thought we'd like to try one of Fred's other ships.

The cabin was just about adequate in terms of living space although storage and wardrobe space was fine. The one thing which spoilt the cruise for me was the vibration in our cabin which was persistent and very noticeable. I will come back to this later in the review.

We chose the cruise because it went to a warm destination at a time of year which we thought wouldn't be too stormy, sadly we were proved wrong, but this wasn't the fault of the ship or Fred Olsen. As a result of bad weather we couldn't dock at Funchal so missed a chance to visit that lovely island.

The Dining Room was well lit and clean and the food well presented. The food on the the cruise was very good. The choice on the menu and the quality of the food was exceptional. We were on the Drinks Package which was limited in choice but more than acceptable.

The onboard lectures were limited and on very similar topics which sadly did not appeal to us. Daytime entertainment was fine especially the quizs and Bridge. Evening entertainment was varied and "entertaining". The vocalists in the bars were exceptionally good.

The service from all of the crew was fantastic and couldn't be faulted.

Embarkation and disembarkation went without a hitch.

PennineDave's Full Rating Summary

Superior Outside Cab
Cabin B 5054

I said I would return to the problem with the cabin 5054. It is a grade B superior outside cabin on deck 5. The cabin has a "L shaped" configuration for the beds and although there was some vibration on the bed by the window , it was most noticeable on the one situated against the internal wall. It was so bad that I had 6 pillows arranged as additional padding above the mattress....even then it was still noticeable. I did mention it to Alexandra in Customer Services and she did offer a change of cabin to a suite at the front of the ship. However, after trying it for one night we decided it wasn't really an improvement. Thank you Alexandra for trying. I would not recommend this cabin to anyone who is a light sleeper.

Honfleur

We went by coach to a calvados distillery.

Then had a walking tour of Honfleur

Lisbon

Walked from the port into the city. It's very accessible on foot

PennineDave