Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review
3,026 Reviews

Winter Getaway- great for couples!

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by panzi12

• Sail Date: Jan 2015
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Balcony Stateroom

A little about us: I cruised with my partner (we are a lesbian couple) in our 20-30's. This was each of our first cruise ever.

Room: We had a balcony room 12th deck midboat. I was a bit hesitatnt to book the 12th deck because the kids club was on the floor and we didn't want to be around kids. We were mid-back of the boat and it worked out great. We really didnt see the kids (they were more towards the front of the boat. the 12th deck was a great location most of the resutrants are decks 6-8 and the clubs/pools are decks 15-16 so we were right inbetween. The room was a bit on the small side but nice. We enjoyed the balcony very much and would definitely recommend this size room or bigger.

Food: This was my main CON. We orginally had the ultimate drink package and were planning on eating in the included places. On the first day we tried garden buffet which was disgusting. Cafeteria food, basically. We left hungry then tried flamingo grill. That was acutally one of the 2 tolerable places but the food was strictly spanish (rice and beans, empanadas etc..). For dinner we tried Taste (FYI Taste, Savior and Tropicana resutrants have all identical menus that never change) the food was HORRIBLE! By the end of the first day we were hungry and caved for the specialty dinning plan. This was SO WORTH IT! we ate at different places each night and enjoyed them all. In order of our favorite (most to least) of the specialties: Tempanyaki->La Cucina-> Moderno-> Cagneys-> Le Bistro. We really didnt like Le Bistro, but many did. Guess we are just not french fans. We also paid for Ocean Blue (the cover charge is not included in the specialty dinning package BUT you do get 20% off if you have the package) for our anniversary. They were super sweet and had heart rose petals on the table. The food was very good and a great resutrant for a special occasion.

Entertainment: overalll 8.5/10. The only cons were that after midnight entertainment was limited and during the day not a ton of offerings. Show wise we saw burn the floor and LOVED it. A must see. We also saw headliners comedy club, it was ok. I personally loved the game shows, many of which I was in tears laughing from. If you go to any, Celebrity Dance OFF is a MUST!!!! Watching this game, was one of my favorite highlights (get ready to pee your pants!). We also attended the 70s, 80s party. Both were a good time (hosted in Spice H20). The glow/white party we stopped by but left because it was crowded and not our scene (great for those who love to party)

Ports: On St.Marteen we did the beach tour, although we had so/so weather, it was definitely a fun day. Would recommend. The island itself wasn/t our favorite, a bit run down. Save your money for St.Thomas (if you snorkel def do it on St.Thomas vs St.Marteen). On St.Thomas we did the Coral Word tour and for those who like to Snorkel THIS IS A HIDDEN GEM the tour is about 35 a person, but right next to coral world is a little beach, which they have snorkel equipment for 5$ bucks! The snorkeling was awesome!! The beach is almost an inlet so the waves are very calm and plentiful marine life. (they even give you stuff to feed the fish!). We did not get off at nassau, as we had been there before.

Boat: The boat itself had great ammenities. We read previous reviews that said to splurge for the Vibe beach club for the week due to lack of available lounge chairs, but we did not find this the case. Anytime we went to layout we always found a few chairs empty. The waterslides were a blast! A must do, adults and children alike. The ropes course was closed for a few days do to wind, but when it opened I ran up to do it. IT WAS MY FAVORITE PART! I had an abolsute blast doing it. At first I was really nervous but they have crew members up there ready and willing to help and actually go with you to make you feel more comfortable. When you get to the "walk the plank part", when you walk out to the end there is a rope to pull and it takes your picture! Don't forget to pull the rope! We also did the mini-gold (9 holes) and overall had a great time doing the ships activities. The crew onboard was possibly the best part. I did not encounter 1 crew member that was anything but amazing. So friendly and eager to help.

Our experience as a gay couple: Norweign was pretty liberal. Everyday on the daily they did offer a lgbt meeting. We went the first night, there were a handful of gay men so really didnt make many friends. We noticed about 2-3 other lesbian couples onboard. Overall other passengers were respectful and the grew for the most part were very accepting. My only uncomfortable moments were taking the portriats, the photographers clearly were not trained in posing same sex couples (AKWARD!!). Also some of the game shows were very hetero, (newlyweds, the perfect couple etc...) and clearly not open to same sex couples. Though we did enjoy watching them....it was a little bit of a bummer that questions and activites in the game were clearly geared towards straight couples. Overall though, I would recommend the cruise line/ship to other gays. It's a decent mainstream cruise.

panzi12's Full Rating Summary