Variety Voyager Cruise Review

Treasures Of Costa Rica And The Panama Canal

Variety Voyager Cruise Review by Belfitt

• Sail Date: Mar 2014
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America

This was a week-long cruise booked only three weeks ahead by someone who wasn't keen on the idea of travelling one of those vast cruise liners. And this cruise was a wonderful experience! The gorgeous, Greek-operated yacht, Variety Voyager, with a cosmopolitan, friendly and hugely competent crew, provided a sociable and attractive setting, serving up delicious food, perfect cocktails and even a beauty therapy salon. A naturalist from Costa Rica was on board to tell us about the places - and the fabulous wildlife - we were going to see, and a comprehensive list of optional excursions allowed us, for example, to visit Panama City and see from above the Canal we had just passed through. We had the opportunity to visit remote spots both in Panama and Costa Rica most easily accessible by sea and the ship's Zodiacs would take us to deserted beaches and islands, where we could swim and snorkel (all snorkelling equipment provided!). Always fresh towels available, both for the beds on the sun deck and when we set off to swim from these beautiful beaches. Wi-fi available at a cost, but a little unreliable.

My cabin was on the lowest deck - a twin-berth (very comfortable bed) with two portholes, plenty of space for my suitcase and a second case, a decently-sized wardrobe, with safe and refrigerator (and plenty of bottles of water), dresser, flat-screen television set with DVD and a good bathroom. European voltage (240v), with both European and American sockets available. Good lighting (something I always notice!) and air-conditioning. Also plenty of mirrors - often in short supply in hotels.

I enjoyed it so much that I am taking another cruise two months later, this time of the Greek Islands!

Belfitt's Full Rating Summary